My festive season was busy but fun, I decided to let my natural hair breathe for a while so that I can plait closer to Afropunk Festival – I didn’t know what I was going to do but I knew I wanted colourful braids so I searched on social media for inspiration and I came across a picture that inspired my new hairdo on Mimi’s Instagram page.
My appointment was set for the 28th Dec at Indalo Nubian Naturals salon, I sat for 7 hours creating a colourful masterpiece, in front I was going to do a normal fringe but I changed my mind to a Benny and Betty with a twist to make it more interesting.
- You’ll definitely stand out and turn heads.
- Its easy to style and it will create a cute two-tone texture.
- The burnt wool at the ends won’t mess up your clothes unlike braid extensions
- The braids feel light.
- When you tie a bun it’s going to be a bit heavy.
- You’ll need to refresh the Benny and Betty in front after 2 weeks. (It depends with your hair texture)
- It takes long to plait this hairstyle but braids take long anyway, it’s better if x2 people assist each other, one will braid while the other is plaiting the wool detail.
I used an orange braid extension which I bought in Braamfontein (Corner De korte and De Beer) and the salon provided me with multi-coloured wool, you can get the wool at Checkers Hyper.
Other than that I don’t have anything bad about this hairstyle, I love it and I might do it again in winter with dark colours:)